Pecans in 7C Case Study
The customer is a large producer of pecan trees and propagate their own pecan trees as well as propagating for other growers. They currently propagate from seeds and are trialling propagation from cuttings. The challenge was to find a high quality, reproducible growing medium which did not vary between batches and year on year. The client required ease of use, and specific features such as high germination rates, fast growth, good root development, a good tray system, easy transportability and ease of transplanting.
The client experimented with the 60mmx150mm and 60mmx120mm Jiffy 7C pellets. The pellet size settled on was the 60mmx120mm pellet as it gave sufficient size to keep the plant in the nursery for the required time while allowing sufficient room for root growth. The pellet allowed sufficient growth for the plants to be grafted while still in the pellet, and ensured ease of grafting due to light weight, the sealed netting bag ensuring no loss of growing medium during grafting.
The following benefits were noticed:
- Ease of deployment and usage of Jiffy 7C pellets. Relatively simple process of hydrating and planting;
- Significant decrease in labour requirement;
- Consistent, reproducible, growing media adhering to RHP specifications and ensuring a manageable and predictable outcome month after month;
- Improved germination rate, faster rooting and growth rates;
- Good tray system, making transport and management of the nursery easier. Easier sorting and grading as movement of pellets with plants is easy, no dropping growing medium, no plastic;
- Easy grafting in the Jiffy 7C, lightweight and netting prevents loss of growing medium;
- The Jiffy 7C pellet ensures the growing medium is contained in the 7C netting on removal from the tray. This enables easy transport to the greenhouse or when boxing and transporting to customers;
- Planting the whole pellet with plant ensures ease of transplant, reducing transplant shock.
The Jiffy 7C works well for propagating pecans under African conditions. The client has been able to expand their business as a result of a constant supply of good plants to the greenhouse and in addition produce plants for sale. Not only has the Jiffy 7C proven itself when growing pecans but also when transporting small plants and transplanting.